Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Halušky (Cabbage & Noodles)


After I made my stuffed cabbage, I had plenty of cabbage left to go around. In stead of putting the head back into my crisper I decided to chop it up and (hopefully) become inspired to make something good. Figuring I could make coleslaw, I added vinegar to the cabbage to break it down and become more tender.

But I was running low on ingredients so I couldn't make coleslaw- I improvised and made something that is equally tasty- Halušky. Now for some back story- Halušky is a Slovak/Czech word for tick noodles or dumplings. So when we talk about "halušky" we could be referring to dumplings (like Bryndzové) or Noodles- most commonly served with cabbage.

I love these "recycle recipes" which take leftovers from one dish to make something brand new. This is another dish I grew up eating- who would have known you can do so much with cabbage! These types of meals tell you a lot about the people who used to eat them. Workers in Easter Europe made these simple meals from cheap ingredients. They are fairly quick and easy to make and fill you up for a good part of the day. It definitely recommend halušky to college students who need a cheap and quick meal!

Ingredients: Serves 4-6      

Cabbage (chopped)--- 1.5 LBS (about a Medium sized head)
Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)--- 2 CUPS
Noodles--- 1 LBS (Fettuccine or Bowtie/Farfalle are typically used)
Onion (chopped)--- 1/2 CUP
Garlic (minced)--- 2 Cloves
Ground Pepper--- 1 TBSP
Salt--- 2 TSP
Olive Oil--- 2 TBSP
Water---1.5 to 2 CUPS

STEP BY STEP:


  • 1. Chop medium sized cabbage 

    • Optional step: Place chopped cabbage into a mixing bowl, add vinegar and stir. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. This step helps the cabbage become soft and absorb a biting taste from the vinegar.

  • 2. Make Noodles, recipe HERE- I prefer thick fettuccine pasta for this recipe

  • 3. Heat a large skillet pan to Medium-High. Add olive once hot then add onion, garlic and cabbage.

  • 4. Reduce heat to Medium add water . Water should come to a simmer. Let the cabbage cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Occasionally stir until all water has been evaporated.

  • 5. Reduce heat to Low then add salt, pepper, and noodles and saute for about 5 minutes. Occasionally stir to mix the cabbage and noodles together.    
And just like that you have Halušky! Although it may seem like a bland meal, look at it as a blank canvas. You can add bacon, sour cream, and/or a variety of sauces to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment