Sunday, February 7, 2016

Polish Pigs-In-A-Blanket


I'm so lucky to have an Eastern European market right here in State College-- I mean who would of guessed that you could find a market like that in Central PA? Shout out to my buddy Miras from Ukraine for telling me about this little-known State College secret!!

I make a weekly trip to this market to pick up my Black Bread and frequently by meats, cheeses and goodies that are imported from Europe. With the Superbowl coming up (and the fact that I had extra puff pastry) I wanted to make an appetizer with an Eastern twist. So instead of using hot dogs I picked up some kabanos sausages. Polish kabanos remind me of the Slim-Jims they sell at gas stations but they are so much more smoky and flavorful.

Of course you can switch out polish sausages for regular mini-hot dogs for this recipe-- either way they'll be a hit at you Superbowl party or next tailgate!

Ingredients: (Makes about 2 dozen)

Puff Pastry--- Click HERE for Recipe
Smoked Sausage--- 1/2 LB
Egg---1 (For egg wash)
Water--- 1 TBSP (For eggs wash)
Salt--- Pinch
Spicy Mustard (optional)--- For dipping

STEP BY STEP:

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350F
  • 2. Cut smoked sausages into little logs about 2" (you can always go longer or shorter) 

  • 3. Roll out puff pastry 

  • 4. Using a pizza cutter cut strips of pastry a little under 2" wide and about 3" long

  • 5. Place sausage at one end of the strip and roll until fully covered. Be sure to have to seal on the bottom.
    • I cut a little arrow/point at the other end of the strip just to add to the visual 



  • 6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place your pigs on top

  • 7. Brush egg wash (egg+ water) on the pastry coverings. Sprinkle salt over pigs.

  • 8. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes until golden brown

Serve with spicy or Dijon mustard and enjoy the big game!!



No comments:

Post a Comment