Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Bacon Fried Collard Greens



In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day I figured I would make something as green as the emerald isle. But... I have to be honest... I'm not a drop Irish and I know next to nothing about Irish cuisine.

But when I found collard greens in the produce section I figured I'd add a Southern Twist to March 17th! This is a really easy recipe, and it doesn't take Irish Luck to perfect it. If I had to compare Collard Greens to another vegetable I would say they are similar to spinach. That said, collard greens have a unique bite & subtle sweetness to them. They also stay firmer when cooked compared to spinach.

Hope you enjoy this side and have a Happy St. Patty's Day!!

Ingredients:

Collard Greens (chopped)--- 1 LB
Slab Bacon--- 3/4 CUP
Onion (chopped)--- 1/2 CUP
Salt and Pepper--- To Taste
Water or Stock--- 2 CUPS
Olive Oil--- 1 TBSP

STEP BY STEP:


  • Cut onion and bacon. Bacon should be cut into thin slices about the size of a postage stamp.

  • Add oil to large, hot pan and saute for 5 minutes

  • Cut greens into long 1" wide strips then slice across  until you have small pieces 


  • Add greens to pan and saute for 2 minutes to give the leaves a slight crispy texture.

  • Add 2 cups of water to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and let simmer for 1 hour.

  • Strain extra water and let greens cool for a few minutes.
Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment