Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Slow Cooker Ham and Lentil Stew


For Easter I bought a Ham that was 6.5 pounds and believe it or not, that was the smallest Ham I could find at Wegmans. My family and roommates had dinner at my Apartment but when all was said and done we had at least 3 pounds of ham left.

So after I carved up the ham and packed up lunches for the week, there was still a good bit of meat around the bone. Instead of letting it go to waste I threw it in a crock pot and made this thick and meaty stew. The lentils absorb the the moisture from the ham which gives them a smoky flavor.  

Ingredients:

Smoked Ham--- 2 LBS
Green Lentils--- 1.5 CUPS
Onion (chopped)--- 3/4 CUP
Celery (chopped)--- 1 CUP (about 2 large stalks)
Garlic (minced)--- 2 cloves
Potatoes (diced)--- 1 CUP
Okra (optional)--- 1 CUP
Water or Stock--- 6 CUPS

STEP BY STEP:


  • Add lentils as well as cut onion, celery, garlic, potatoes, and okra to crock pot

  • Add water and ham to crock pot and set on medium-high for 6 hours

  • After time has passed, water should be absorbed by lentils and ham should fall off bone. Remove bones and mix all together



Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment