Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Chicken Cordon Bleu



This was the first time I tried making this dish but overall I think they turned out well. Visually they may not have been the prettiest Cordon Bleu but the Chicken was baked perfectly. It was some of the juiciest, tender chicken I've ever made.

Cordon Bleu reminds me alot of Chicken Kiev- which was a dinner I would eat very often when I was a kid. My roommates really enjoyed this dinner too- I mean, who doesn't like ham and cheese rolled up in a cutlet of chicken? In the future, I'd like to make these as an appetizer. I'm sure mini-Cordon Bleu would be a hit at a party!

I just realized that Cordon Bleu is basically a schnitzel roll-up. (I guess that's coming from the Hungarian side of my brain!)

Ingredients: Serves 4

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast--- 1 LB
Smoked Ham--- 6-8 OZ
Swiss Cheese--- 6 OZ
Dijon Mustard---2 TBSP
All Purpose Flour--- 1/3 CUP
Eggs--- 3 (Large)
Panko Bread Crumbs--- 1/2 CUP
Salt---2 TSP
Ground Pepper--- 2 TSP

STEP BY STEP: 


  • Preheat Oven to 375F

  • With a meat tenderizer, (I used a rolling pin) flatten Chicken cutlets to a thickness of 1/4". Keep chicken in a plastic bag while flattening it to keep it in place and reduce splatter.


  • Brush mustard on top side of cutlet then layer with ham and cheese

( I love the holes in Swiss cheese!)



  • Roll up cutlet from end to end. Roll tightly and have the seam facing the bottom. Tuck edges in to seal the Cordon Bleu




  • Dredge Chicken in flour (1), whisked eggs (2), and bread crumb/salt & pepper mix (3)
(1)

(2)

(3)

  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chicken on sheet and bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes. Bread crumbs should turn golden brown as the chicken bakes.


Enjoy! This dish is actually really easy to make so don't let the fancy name fool you!


I love how tender the chicken turned out- Not dry at all!

1 comment:

  1. They look great! I have a recipe for these as well that keeps them tender and juicy. I've made them a lot! It's a similar process but they are briefly seared before baking. You can even make them a day ahead and refrigerate, then pop them in the oven for a quick dinner.

    ReplyDelete