Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Catfish Gumbo



My roommates said it sounded like Mardi gras was going on in our kitchen- and boy did I feel like I was in the French Quarter. I had the Rebirth Brass Band coming out of my speakers and the air was thick with the smell of paprika, onion and tomato. I was in my element and I think the taste of this gumbo affirms that.

I was lucky to have picked up one of the last catfish fillets that Wegmans had. I considered baking or pan frying this fish but the idea of making a gumbo was too good to pass up.

This is another one of those "one pot meals" in which you can get creative with your ingredients. I try to please the die-hard Cajun foodies so I was sure to add "the Holy Trinity": Onions, Bell peppers, and Celery. I also had okra on hand which I think takes the authenticity to another level.

Ingredients:

Catfish Fillets--- 1 LB

For the Fish Seasoning:

Paprika--- 2 TBSP
Oregano---1 TSP
Onion Powder- 2 TSP
Garlic Powder-1 TSP
Chili Powder- 2 TSP    
Sea Salt--- 1 TSP
Ground Pepper--- 1 TSP

For the Stew:

Stock--- 32 OZ
Condensed Tomato Soup--- 8 OZ (1 Can)
Celery (Chopped)--- 1 CUP
Bell Pepper (Chopped)---1 CUP
Onion (Chopped)--- 3/4 CUP
Okra (Chopped)--- 3/4 CUP
Garlic (Minced)--- 2 Cloves
Apple Cider Vinegar--- 1/4 CUP
Olive Oil--- 2 TBSP

Optional Thickening Agent:

Corn Flour (I use Maseca)--- 2 TBSP

STEP BY STEP:


  • Combine seasoning ingredients in a small mixing bowl, toss catfish in seasoning

  • Cut celery, pepper, onion, okra and garlic. Add to another mixing bowl and stir in vinegar (I do this to break down the veggies and let them absorb some flavor)

  • Heat large frying pan to Medium. Add oil once hot and saute celery, pepper, onion, okra and garlic for about 5 minutes or until they are semi-tender

  • In a large pot add stock and tomato soup. Stir together and bring to a boil.

  • Once stew is boiling, add catfish and reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and allow the fish to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. ( I add whole fillets of catfish-the hot stew breaks the fish into smaller pieces) 

  • Uncover pot and add veggies. Set the heat to Medium and let cook for an additional 10 minutes. (Fish should be white & flaky and Vegetables should be tender)  

    • Optional Step for a Thicker Stew: Ladle 1/2 CUP stew into a mug. Add corn flour to mug and whisk with a fork until there are no more clumps of flour. Add thickened mixture back to the pot.
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment